News / Featured, Hospitality Staffing, Recruitment, Worker Safety
10 Questions to Ask Before Choosing a Hospitality Staffing Partner
Given the industry’s ongoing labor shortage, more and more staffing agencies are popping up. While this might mean more sources of workers for hospitality facilities, these agencies don’t necessarily have direct industry experience or a safety and compliance mindset. Instead, they are focused more on business opportunity versus consistency and longevity, and they are not investing in safety training among their staff.
If your hospitality business relies on staffing agencies to provide housekeeping, maintenance, landscaping, kitchen, front-of-house and other types of workers, here are a few questions to consider before choosing a vendor:
- What industries does the staffing vendor specialize in? How well do they know Hospitality and understand the industry’s unique safety concerns?
- Do they have experience recruiting workers for a wide range of Hospitality positions?
- How extensive is their recruitment process, including sourcing, selection, and screening (background checks, drug testing, etc.)?
- What is the safety record of your contract partner, or the staffing vendor in consideration?
- Do they provide safety and compliance training? How comprehensive and frequent is the training? Do they offer in-person and online training opportunities? In what languages?
- Does the staffing vendor stay up to date on all federal and state safety (OSHA) guidelines?
- How does the staffing vendor handle safety incidents when they arise?
- Does the agency take into consideration the safety of your permanent staff and guests?
- What kind of liability protection do they offer?
- What kind of risk mitigation policies, protocols, and management team do they have in place?
As in all things in life, choose carefully. Ask the right questions of any potential staffing partner to ensure your hotel or property is well-served by fellow industry professionals.
Staffing solutions, delivered to your inbox.
Notes from a Conference (Part Two)
Our Senior Vice President of National Operations, Jim White, reports from the Staffing Industry Analysts Executive Forum. He was part of a three-member HSS team…
Notes from a Conference (Part One)
Our Senior Vice President Southern Region, Mihaela L.Pla, Shares What She Experienced at the Staffing Industry Analysts Executive Forum. Earlier this month, I had the…
Updated “Raising Standards, Lowering Costs” E-Book Now Available
A new year, a new set of challenges for the industry, and an updated resource to help hospitality professionals navigate 2023. Based on dozens of…
Getting Ahead of the Alarming Headlines with Contingent Staffing Strategies
“Nearly 2 million hospitality and leisure jobs remain unfilled in what economists call a ‘deep, profound’ shift in the labor market.” – The Washington Post…
2023 Hospitality Trends: Opportunity and Risk-Mitigation for Properly-Staffed Hotels
The hospitality industry enjoyed a healthy 2022 rebound. Travelers returned in droves. Airline bookings bumped up against 2019 records (with some well publicized system meltdowns),…
Five Common Hospitality Staffing Myths
Many hospitality businesses think they understand the realities of working with an industry-specific staffing partner, but the truth is, they don’t. This is due to…
107 results found